Sunday, July 12, 2009

Well...

The epilepsy clinic I went to on Monday was quite a good and helpful appointment - the doctor seemed really great and was really thoughtful and thorough. He recommended I do a long-term evaluation which they ended up setting up for August 4. Basically, for about 5-10 days (unless they can induce a seizure earlier) I'll be in a wee room, with a little bathroom, only able to move within said room and not allowed to shower, with electrodes on my head. While they stress my body. Probably by depriving me of sleep and food.

JOY!

The good news is, though, that if they induce a seizure they'll be able to tell, pretty conclusively, what is is: if there's something abnormal in my brain waves and, if so, where it is; and if not, they'll know pretty conclusively that it's psychogenic (or part of a metabolic disorder or something.)

Also on Monday, the hammock collapsed under me, which led to me screwing up my back and getting a bump on the back of my head. Also fun. Also joyful.

Also, strangely, for the last two nights in a row I've had dreams about people from my past - exes of a certain sort, people I haven't thought about in quite a while. It was rather unsettling...probably doesn't mean much of anything other than that I'm really, really lonely, and definitely in a romantic capacity. That's been a void that I've been longing to fill for awhile now and there are so many things that I've left unfinished, and all these people with whom I feel like I have unfinished words, unfinished actions. It's hard to let go when a clean break hasn't been made and my life doesn't really seem to lend itself to clean breaks.

In any case, on Wednesday I will officially leave my teenage years behind and THAT, my friends, is something to celebrate, to be sure. 20s, here I come.

2 comments:

  1. Five to ten DAYS?? I hope you have a TV or reading material or something. Holy crap. That sounds like it would induce psychosis, not seizures. But if they can actually conclusively make some determinations at that point, I can see how it would be worthwhile. Nothing worse than not even knowing.

    Do they let you go early if you have a seizure right away? Maybe the stars will be aligned.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yeah, there will be a TV, and wireless, and all that. But even so, yeah, I think it'll make me a little crazy.

    I don't know if they will, but hopefully. Maybe I'll have a seizure the first day or something...here's hoping!

    ReplyDelete